KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 12 — The Malaysian Pharmacists Society (MPS) today called for an immediate resolution for 730 contract pharmacists in public service who lost their reserve status last October.
The pharmacists’ group noted that these 730 contract pharmacy officers from the 2021 cohort were previously considered eligible for potential permanent appointments when vacancies arose, as they were placed under the reserve pool after evaluation.
“The withdrawal of this status, announced on October 20, 2025, has left hundreds of young pharmacists without clarity on their future, despite having fulfilled all service obligations and performance expectations,” said MPS president Prof Amrahi Buang in a statement.
“Pharmacists play a critical and irreplaceable role in Malaysia’s health care ecosystem — from hospital wards and primary care services to medication safety, public health, disaster response, and national health programme implementation.
“Stability within this workforce is not merely a human resource matter; it is central to patient safety, service continuity, and the resilience of the health system.
“When 730 officers face sudden uncertainty, the consequences are far-reaching: morale is shaken, retention risks increase, and service delivery across multiple facilities may be compromised.”
In a statement last Monday, Senator Dr RA Lingeshwaran said out of 1,330 contract pharmacists, 600 were absorbed into permanent positions in the July 2024 intake, whereas the remaining 730 were placed on reserve status.
However, their reserve status ended last October, which Dr Lingeshwaran claimed was in contradiction with the Ministry of Health’s (MOH) promise to automatically renew their turn awaiting permanent appointments.
“This situation not only weakens morale, but also wrongs the senior officers whose contracts are set to end between April and July 2026,” he told the Dewan Negara.
“It is highly inappropriate when the seniority, experience, and loyalty of these officers are overlooked, especially when the MOH decides not to offer contract extensions after a five-year period.”
MPS said it engaged with representatives of the affected pharmacists last month, gathering information on their work performance and concerns about the abrupt loss of an established pathway towards permanent positions in the public health service.
“This matter has also been raised with the Pharmaceutical Services Programme (PSP) of the MOH, and MPS appreciates PSP’s readiness to engage constructively,” said Amrahi.
“We have reiterated the need for stable contract mechanisms, transparent communication, and alignment of staffing decisions with actual service demands across the country. The Society is also prepared to support the Public Service Commission (SPA) by sharing aggregated ground insights that may assist in reviewing the implications of the withdrawal.”
Yesterday, the Malaysian Medical Association (MMA) similarly demanded action from the MOH on the issue.

