KUALA LUMPUR, August 7 — The Ministry of Health (MOH) has formed multiple WhatsApp groups to poll medical officers (MOs) on whether they supported expediting their date for reporting for duty from October 2 to September 2.
The WhatsApp surveys were intended for the June batch of 2,248 UD10 MOs for permanent appointments, who were initially scheduled to report for duty at their respective facilities on October 2.
A new reporting date of September 2 would be just a fortnight away from decisions on appeals set for August 19.
“Apparently, your permanent post reporting date might be moved earlier — based on a forwarded message and a casual poll. Seriously?” Malaysian Medical Association (MMA) Schomos wrote on Facebook earlier today, attaching several screenshots of the WhatsApp groups, including one named “Undian Penempatan Lantikan Tetap (UD43) KKM Group 3”.
“We would like to remind everyone that employment matters should be communicated officially, through formal letters or at the very least, verified email. This kind of approach creates confusion, anxiety, and could be perceived as unprofessional.
“Meanwhile, hold off on responding to anything unofficial. Your careers deserve better than vague messages and unverified polls.”
MMA Schomos posted screenshots of various messages, including one that remarked: “Dia buat batch by batch ke ini scammer?” (They’re doing by batches or is this a scammer?).
The question in the WhatsApp poll, posted by a senior assistant principal secretary in the HRMIS and Data Unit of the MOH’s human resource division (BSM), was: “In line with the government’s decision to expedite reporting for duty as permanent medical officers, do you agree if the reporting date is brought forward from 2/10/2025 to 2/9/2025. (Please answer before 4pm today)”, with two options: yes or no.
MOH confirmed the veracity of the survey when asked by reporters in the ministry’s media WhatsApp group.
“The poll was only a survey to get quick feedback on the idea of early reporting. The poll result is to be tabled internally for further actions,” said Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad’s press secretary today.
“Briefly, HR needs to know the extent of acceptance by the involved MOs of the proposal before any decision is made in the effort to achieve the target of filling vacancies in MOH facilities nationwide by 2025.”
Most MOs Didn’t Get Link To WhatsApp Poll
One of the MOs in the June batch complained that most doctors, including himself, did not receive a link to the WhatsApp groups with the poll. They received news about the poll from another MO last Tuesday.
“No proper memo or email given, just WhatsApp chat sent to a selected few MOs. I’m not sure how many MOs were invited, but most of us didn’t get the link,” he told CodeBlue today.
According to the WhatsApp Help Centre, the limit for a WhatsApp group is 1,024 members.
The doctor also opposed an earlier reporting date, pointing out that some MOs would need time to secure rental accommodation, flights, and transport, among other things.
“Maybe some of them are okay if the placement date is pushed earlier, but do proper voting at least. This is like asking us to vote for the theme of a department dinner, even though this is a serious matter to us. We need to plan to apply for leave and everything.”
He said the MOH should have held virtual meetings and given Google forms for voting, like how previous Google meetings were held for the batch on placement issues.
The MO, who is currently serving in the Klang Valley and successfully obtained his first choice of a hospital in Johor, told the MOH to be “more professional and serious when handling this matter.”
Dzulkefly reportedly said last month that the MOH will fast-track the recruitment process, rather than follow the “conventional approach”, to fill 4,352 positions to meet the urgent need for medical staff, noting that the matter was previously discussed at a Cabinet meeting.

