Healthy People Formed 12% Of Covid-19 Deaths In May

By Nicole Chek | 07 June 2021

Of the 1,290 Covid-19 deaths recorded in Malaysia in May this year, 157 victims (12.2%) were not associated with any comorbidities.

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

KUALA LUMPUR, June 7 — More than one in 10 people who died from Covid-19 last May in Malaysia did not have any reported underlying health conditions.

Of the 1,290 Covid-19 fatalities reported last month nationwide, about 12.2 per cent, or 157 victims, did not have any comorbidities, while the remaining 1,133 individuals (87.8 per cent) had underlying medical conditions.

This means that for every 50 people who died of Covid-19, six did not have any underlying health issues.

The number of coronavirus-related deaths in May 2021 alone was triple the total 471 Covid-19 deaths recorded in the whole of last year.

Out of the 1,290 Covid-19 deaths recorded last month, 785 were male, comprising 60.9 per cent, while 505 were female.

Out of the 1,290 Covid-19 deaths in May, about a quarter were aged below 60:

  • Age group 29 years and below: 16 people (1.2 per cent)
  • Age group 30-59 years: 319 people (24.7 per cent)
  • Age group 60 years and above: 955 people (74 per cent)

Among the 1,290 victims who died from coronavirus last month, a quarter of young adults aged 29 and below did not have underlying health conditions:

  • Age group 29 years and below: 12 people (75 per cent) had comorbidities
  • Age group 30-59 years: 265 people (83.1 per cent) had comorbidities
  • Age group 60 years and above: 856 people (89.6 per cent) had comorbidities

The youngest fatality was a child aged three years old; and the oldest was 99 years old.

Hypertension was the most common comorbidity suffered by Covid-19 victims. It was present in 79 per cent, or 895 people, of the total 1,133 Covid-19 fatalities with comorbidities in May.

Hypertension was the most common comorbidity among coronavirus victims in 2020 as well, comprising 52 per cent of Covid-19 deaths with comorbidities in Malaysia last year.

Diabetes (61.8 per cent), chronic kidney disease (22.7 per cent), heart disorders (22.5 per cent) and high cholesterol (22.4 per cent) were also common in Covid-19 patients who died with comorbidities last month.

Of the 1,133 Covid-19 deaths with comorbidities reported in May, 669 victims (59 per cent) had two or three underlying health issues, with hypertension and diabetes being the most common conditions present together.

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

You may also like