KUALA LUMPUR, July 27 — No action will be taken against government doctors who participated in a strike yesterday, Health Minister Dr Adham Baba said today.
During the special Parliament meeting since yesterday, MPs across the board raised the plight of contract doctors who face the prospect of job insecurity.
“We won’t take disciplinary action,” Dr Adham told the Dewan Rakyat today.
Malaysiakini today reported that the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital in Klang has asked some 24 contract doctors to respond to show-cause letters issued by the management of the hospital for taking part in yesterday’s protest.
Yesterday, the police also opened an investigation paper against doctors who took part in the strike at Kuala Lumpur Hospital.
Hartal is a movement initiated by an independent group of contract doctors that demanded solutions to the longstanding issue of the government’s contract scheme for junior doctors.
Hundreds of contract doctors launched a strike across the country yesterday under the #HartalDoktorKontrak movement. The stop-work movement saw a mass walkout of contract health workers at several public hospitals nationwide for a few hours, with the Hartal movement insisting that patient care was not disrupted.
So far, more than 23,000 contract doctors are working in public health facilities in the country.